Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lost in Translation?

The place I work gets a lot of things shipped to us from some pretty exotic places. We and our business partners are committed to being good stewards of the environment, so packing material is usually recycled paper, often old news. Anyway, I found myself perusing a couple of pages of the July 8, 2008 issue of The Rising Nepal, an English language daily based in Kathmandu, when I came across a little article about everyone's favorite celebrity, Paris Hilton.

If you have trouble reading my cruddy scan, it reports that Ms Hilton has been declared a National Historic Landmark in the United States.

I figured it had to be one of those cases where a newspaper saw something posted on a spoof website and thought it was for real. Sure enough, I found it on The Spoof website.

Perhaps the baseball metaphors and double entendres tripped up the Nepalese editor. The article itself is only passingly amusing, but seeing it reported in a real newspaper gave me a giggle

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paris Hilton is a National Landmark....