Tuesday, January 19, 2010

No Toaster?

Today is Edgar Poe's 201st birthday and for the first time in about 60 years the Poe Toaster failed to appear. I've always had the feeling that the new Toaster was motivated by family tradition rather than devotion to Mr Poe. Those notes he would occasionally leave, opining about football and France, gave me the impression that his heart wasn't into it. Perhaps it is time for the Toaster Nevermore. Maybe someone should start a less morbid tradition here in Boston. Two roses at his birthplace, one for him, one for Eliza, and no booze. That might be a nice project. For now I'll offer my own toast (with tea; it's a bit early for cognac and I'm more of a bourbon man anyway). To Muddy. To Sissy. And to dear old Eddie himself. Cheers from Frogpondium.

No comments: