Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's More Than a Game

With the Ken Burns Baseball series now in its tenth inning, my mind turned back to an earlier time. A time when compelling documentaries were shown on PBS, and snarky public radio guys made fun of it. Here is a broadcast of NPR's Only a Game from many years ago. You can listen to the whole thing if you like, but I'd skip ahead to minute 43:20 to hear the compelling story of . . . Candlepin.

This, by the way, may only be amusing to people from New England and the Maritimes, where we play a regional variant of bowling that is, frankly, more fun.

2 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Hi there, I just saw your comment at Cal's blog. It was pretty funny, so I thought I'd come and check you out. I like what I'm seeing, so if you don't mind, I'm gonna tag along

Glenn Whidden said...

Don't mind a bit and thank you muchly for the kindness.