Thursday, August 20, 2009

Protecting The Public From Books

Bibliophile Bullpen's aching head nearly explodes after seeing this report about how the Brooklyn Public Library has locked up a book in a vault so that it cannot contaminate the public with its dangerous words and pictures.

I suppose we should redefine librarians as our protectors. The new librarians will stand on the thin black and white line that separates the public from dangerous literature. They will keep us safe from disturbing thoughts, offensive ideas, and unpleasant images. Welcome, my friends, to the twenty-first century.

As I read the article it occurred to me that it must get pretty warm in that vault on a hot day like today. I imagine that the temperature gets troublingly close to 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

No comments: