Tuesday, December 23, 2008

For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky


Hollow Earth by David Standish is an entertaining introduction to a fairly silly notion that has been played with in fiction, considered by science, dreamed of by utopians, and promoted by crackpots. Standish takes a fairly lighthearted approach to his topic, which I suppose is pretty reasonable. This is probably not the last word on the topic, but it's a decent read.

That would be about it, but something about the topic has grabbed me. Something about a subterranean civilization, a sub-terra incognita, if you will, appeals to me. Perhaps it was watching The Phantom Empire as a kid. Maybe it's a memory of a high school classmate who read a paperback on the subject and was himself a believer. I think I just want to find out what happens when you fall down the rabbit hole.

No comments: